Thursday, July 2, 2009

Modern Technology Not Always Best

Even though I started writing in the Dark Ages (i.e. when only the very rich and famous owned computers,) I've become accustomed to going from first draft to submission ready manuscript without ever leaving the computer keyboard.

Almost. When it comes time to proof and polish a manuscript, the computer leaves a lot to be desired.

Spell Check can't tell the difference between "there" and "their" in the context of a sentence. It just knows both words are spelled correctly. Grammar Check seems to offer the wrong advice more often than the correct choice.

When I print out a hard copy, I swear I spot errors that I never noticed on the computer screen. I've learned the hard way that it pays to put that marked up hard copy in a drawer while I work on other projects for as long as possible without missing a deadline. Coming back with fresh eyes, I spot more things that need fixing (like using the word "hard" three times in the same paragraph!)

What tricks of the trade do you employ to be sure you only send out your very best work?

May the Muse be kind!!

Susanne Rose

http://www.wow-womenonwriting.com/28-How2-SellPersonalStories.html

http://www.thewildrosepress.com/lucki-in-love-p-342.html
Lucki In Love," a Wild Rose Press Champagne Rosette

http://www.thewildrosepress.com/the-christmas-promise-p-315.html
"The Christmas Promise," a Wild Rose Press Champagne Rosette
Keep the spirit of the holidays going strong and take advantage of this bonus offer: Just send an e-mail to the author: Susannerose@wildrosepublishing.com with “The Christmas Promise” in the Subject Line. You’ll have to read the story first so you can identify the secret recipe when you send your e-mail. Santa will send you a copy of the secret recipe.

http://www.thewildrosepress.com/forever-love-p-248.html "Forever Love," a Wild Rose Press Champagne Rosette

"Adjusting Entries," coming soon in: http://www.lldreamspell.com/RomanceofmyDreams.html

6 comments:

Diana Castilleja said...

I do the same thing. I usually print it out three or four different times for actual read throughs that way. I just can't catch it all when it stays on the computer, but I don't write in long hand at all. Cant' read when I do so the computer is the best way for me.

Denise Patrick said...

For me it's the best way, too. When I finally write "The End" on a manuscript, I might read it through on the computer once, but then I have to print it out and set it aside for at least a week - longer if I can - then I go back and read it through. It's the only way to spot all those oddities that I don't seem to see on the computer screen.

Unknown said...

Hi Sue!
I'm pretty much the same way. I finished an MS a couple of weeks back and am almost finished a Holiday themed novella. Once I've sent the novella out I'll go back to the MS and start edits.

Lindsay Townsend said...

Hi - when it comes to editing, I do so in hard copy, off the computer. I agree that things are more easy to spot in hard copy.

Maggie Toussaint said...

Hi Susanne! I do my final reads in hard copy as well. I know that's an awful waste of paper, but I learned how to read on paper so that's what does it for me.

I also have a writer friend that I send it to for a last read. She helps me spot those word overusages. I return the favor with her books.

Susanne said...

Thanks Diana, Denise, Adelle, Lindsay, & Maggie!

Isn't it interesting how great minds think alike?!

 

©2008 Sweeter Romantic Notions - All Rights Reserved.

Blogger template modified by: KatieDid Design