Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Stopping and starting

by Maggie Toussaint

Summer is a jagged time for me to write. I start writing. Something happens. I stop. I do something else. I come back to my story. I wonder what I was thinking. I have to take time to reread what I wrote before I can move on. I start again.

Does this sound familiar?

Seems like I'm doing a lot of writing, but the effort is dispersed over several projects so that no one thing is getting finalized. This is hard for me since I am by nature a linear person. Once I start something, I like to stay with it until I'm done.

But I'm learning flexibility in all things; and really, isn't that what life is about? Adapting to meet our challenges?

Maggie Toussaint
romance and mystery author
www.maggietoussaint.com
www.myspace.com/maggietoussaint

4 comments:

Denise Patrick said...

Oh, Maggie. You are definitely NOT alone. But, while it might be your summer, it is my life! My writing is so sporadic - it's the reason I can only get out one book a year. I'm easily distracted - no matter the time of year and I envy those who can stay on track. But, I also know that each person works (and writes) at their own pace, and mine is one book a year. I'm becoming comfortable with it.

Diane Craver said...

So true, Maggie. I'm having so many distractions. My hubby's retired, college daughter here for the summer, my son had a severe hand injury so that's been rough and I just can't focus on new writing.

Also I have promo to do for a new release. Wish we could hire personal assistants - wonder if that would help us? LOL

Susanne said...

Maggie -

That flexibility is bound to pay off big time in the long run!

LK Hunsaker said...

I find it very hard to work during the summer with all the extra distractions. If we at least get something done in between, I suppose we can count that as a success. ;-)

 

©2008 Sweeter Romantic Notions - All Rights Reserved.

Blogger template modified by: KatieDid Design