Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Stopping and starting

by Maggie Toussaint

Summer is a jagged time for me to write. I start writing. Something happens. I stop. I do something else. I come back to my story. I wonder what I was thinking. I have to take time to reread what I wrote before I can move on. I start again.

Does this sound familiar?

Seems like I'm doing a lot of writing, but the effort is dispersed over several projects so that no one thing is getting finalized. This is hard for me since I am by nature a linear person. Once I start something, I like to stay with it until I'm done.

But I'm learning flexibility in all things; and really, isn't that what life is about? Adapting to meet our challenges?

Maggie Toussaint
romance and mystery author


Denise Patrick said...

Oh, Maggie. You are definitely NOT alone. But, while it might be your summer, it is my life! My writing is so sporadic - it's the reason I can only get out one book a year. I'm easily distracted - no matter the time of year and I envy those who can stay on track. But, I also know that each person works (and writes) at their own pace, and mine is one book a year. I'm becoming comfortable with it.

Diane Craver said...

So true, Maggie. I'm having so many distractions. My hubby's retired, college daughter here for the summer, my son had a severe hand injury so that's been rough and I just can't focus on new writing.

Also I have promo to do for a new release. Wish we could hire personal assistants - wonder if that would help us? LOL

Susanne said...

Maggie -

That flexibility is bound to pay off big time in the long run!

LK Hunsaker said...

I find it very hard to work during the summer with all the extra distractions. If we at least get something done in between, I suppose we can count that as a success. ;-)


©2008 Sweeter Romantic Notions - All Rights Reserved.

Blogger template modified by: KatieDid Design