Thursday, July 9, 2009

Work Habits of the Not So Rich & Famous

Back in the days when "work" consisted of the assignments teachers doled out and my bosses were my parents, I couldn't do homework unless the TV or stereo blared.

I stopped getting complaints about my dubious study habits when I consistently made the honor roll.

Now that I'm the boss, results are still important. It's OK to emulate extraordinarily productive writer Michael Bracken and work on multiple projects at the same time IF I actually finish and submit those projects on a timely basis.

I give myself permission to do a load or two of wash during working hours ... unless all I've accomplished at the end of the day is laundry!

Are you an easy going boss who doesn't grumble so long as the work is getting done, or a no nonsense boss with all sorts of rules like no e-mail until the day's quota of words is finished?

You're the only one who can decide what kind of boss you need to be to encourage yourself to get the job done.

May the Muse be kind!!

Susanne Rose

http://www.wow-womenonwriting.com/28-How2-SellPersonalStories.html

http://www.thewildrosepress.com/lucki-in-love-p-342.html
Lucki In Love," a Wild Rose Press Champagne Rosette

http://www.thewildrosepress.com/the-christmas-promise-p-315.html
"The Christmas Promise," a Wild Rose Press Champagne Rosette
Keep the spirit of the holidays going strong and take advantage of this bonus offer: Just send an e-mail to the author: Susannerose@wildrosepublishing.com with “The Christmas Promise” in the Subject Line. You’ll have to read the story first so you can identify the secret recipe when you send your e-mail. Santa will send you a copy of the secret recipe.

http://www.thewildrosepress.com/forever-love-p-248.html "Forever Love," a Wild Rose Press Champagne Rosette

"Adjusting Entries," coming soon in: http://www.lldreamspell.com/RomanceofmyDreams.html

2 comments:

Maggie Toussaint said...

Susanne,
This is something I struggle with on an on-going basis. Working from home, folks think I'm not on the clock and drop by. I try to gently kick them out, but sometimes the tide of life catches me in a riptide and I'm out past the sandbar before I know it. If you find the answer to this, please let me know!

Susanne said...

Maggie -

I'm a big believer in setting boundaries.
When somebody drops by in the middle of your work day, gently say that you're working but would love to visit with them ... and give a time when you're available. Let an answering machine pick up calls to avoid having to stop to answer the phone (but still be able to respond to family emergency calls.)

 

©2008 Sweeter Romantic Notions - All Rights Reserved.

Blogger template modified by: KatieDid Design